Welcome to Year 2!
- Classroom Teacher: Miss Bachewich
- Teaching Assistants: Mrs Rose, Mrs Haigh, Miss Newman, Mrs Smith and Mrs Page
- PPA Cover: Mrs Cross
SUMMER TERM 1
Topic: Traditional Tales
As part of our topic from last half term, we went on a field trip to Cadbury World! We had an amazing time learning all about chocolate and its origins, the Cadbury Family and so much more. We learned how they used to cool down chocolate, saw workers making chocolate and of course got to try chocolate!
After working VERY hard during the week Year 2 and Year 6 went to the Wale Recreation Ground for the afternoon to celebrate.
As part of our Earth Art unit we worked in groups to create mandalas using natural objects. We discussed how mandalas are symmetrical and are symbols used in religions such as Hinduism and Buddhism.
We had a lovely morning visit to the local library. We learned about what the library does and had time to explore and enjoy the books and puzzles. See some photos from our visit below!
Summer Term 1 Project Activities for Home
Here are some activities to compliment the topic work that we are doing at school. There will be time to share your projects on the Thursday 26th May 2022.
1. Three Billy Goats Gruff. Make a raft for the Three Billy Goats Gruff so that they don't have to cross the bridge.
2. Jack and the Beanstalk. Create a zipwire for Jack to get down the beanstalk quickly.
3. Hansel and Gretel. Can you build a house from sweets? Which type of sweets give the most stable base?
4. The Three Little Pigs. Test stick, straw and brick to see which is windproof. Are there any other materials that you could use to build a house for the Three Little Pigs? Test your houses using a hair dryer to see if they can be blown over.
5. Traditional Tales with a twist. Rewrite one of your favourite traditional tales but add a twist and make it a bit different.
SPRING TERM 2
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Day
On the last day of the half term we had a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Day. We celebrated all of our hard work for the term and completed the wrappers for our chocolate bar creations that we designed in Design and Technology. We played some fun games together and had a visit from Miss Cusano (Mrs Cusano's daughter) who is a chocolate maker.
100th Day of School
On our first day back from half term we celebrated our 100th day of school. Each of us dressed up how we thought we will look when we are 100. Throughout the day we did activities that had to with the number 100. We took the 100 Second Challenge which included different activities we had to do for 100 seconds such as jumping jacks. Needless to say 100 seconds is a lot longer than we thought it was. We worked in groups to build the tallest tower with 100 marshmallows and 100 cocktail sticks. We even created our own portraits and thought about things we might do before we turn 100.
Spring Term 2 Project Activities for Home
Here are some activities to compliment the topic work that we are doing at school. There will be time to share your projects on the Thursday 31st March 2022.
1. Mr Willy Wonka's Factory. Create your own 3D model of Mr Willy Wonka's Factory.
2. Chocolate Poem. Write your own poem about chocolate.
3. Baking. Bake something chocolatey to bring to class. Write out the instructions you used to bake the treat.
4. Chocolate Bar Commercial. Design and record your own commercial for the chocolate bar you invented at school.
5. Chocolate Investigation. Have a look around your home, what different materials can you find that would be a good insulator to keep chocolate melted for a long time? Try different materials and record your results. be careful when melting chocolate as it get VERY hot.
SPRING TERM 1
The Great Wall of Shelford School
We have been learning lots about our topic of China and even built our own Great Wall of China out of blocks and shoeboxes. The Great Wall of China takes about 18 months to walk. Luckily, our wall that we built didn't take that long to walk. We named it the Great Wall of Shelford School.
Spring Term 1 Project Activities for Home
Here are some activities to compliment the topic work that we are doing at school. There will be time to share your projects on Tuesday 1st of February.
1. Dragon Animation. Use an animation program to animate a simple dragon dancing.
2. Chinese Dragon Puppet. Create a Chinese dragon puppet and create a dance for it.
3. Learn to use chopsticks. Make some noodles and practice eating with chopsticks.
4. Calligraphy. Chinese calligraphy is beautiful. Find examples for children to look at, then let them try doing their own with fine brushes and black paint.
5. Dragon Dance. Show children a Dragon dance video and see if they can come up with their own dance.
6. Language. Learn to speak Mandarin which is the official language of China.
7. Landmarks. Create your own version of one of China's famous landmarks. You could create your own Terracotta Army out of clay or build your own Great Wall of China.
8. Chinese Food. Visit a Chinese restaurant or make your own Chinese food at home.
AUTUMN TERM 2
Topic: Heroes and Heroines
This half term in Computing we are learning about Digital Photography. For our first lesson we were challenged to use an iPad to take photos of a building, a person (asking their permission first), a close-up of an object, an action shot, a selfie and something in the distance. Here are some of the photos from our lesson. Can you guess what type of photograph we took?
To kick start our topic of Heroes and Heroines, we began by making our own superhero masks and began our superhero training. Throughout this half term we will be doing different challenges to build up our superhero skills. See some of the photos from our training!
Autumn Term 1 Project Activities for Home
Here are some activities to compliment the topic work that we are doing at school. There will be time to share your projects on Monday 13th of December.
1. Real Heroes. Learn about figures from history who could be considered as heroes, for example Florence Nightingale, Nelson Mandela, Ernest Shackleton or choose your own person. Create a PowerPoint, poster or fact file to share your information.
2. Superhero Outfit. Using materials from home, create your own superhero outfit. What might your superhero name be? What might your superpower be?
3. Keeping Safe in the Community. Make a poster showing all of the people that can help you and other children, to keep safe.
4. Superhero Tune. Listen to various superhero tunes, e.g. Superman or Batman. Compose a superhero theme tune. Consider tempo, dynamics and pitch to relate to the stature and personality of a hero.
5. Animation. Create a superhero animation using stick puppets cut outs or hand puppets.
6. Superhero vehicle. Investigate friction. Design and make a superhero car then compare how well it travels over different surfaces.
7. Andy Warhol. Learn about the artist and his pop art style. Create a comic book cover in his style.
AUTUMN TERM 1
Topic: The Great Fire of London
The Big Burn
To end our topic of The Great Fire of London, we created Tudor houses and lit them on fire. We discussed how we felt about our boxes burning and made a comparison to how people might have felt when their houses burned down. We want to say a big thank you to Miss Smith and Mrs Ward who ensured all the safety measures where in place to have a safe fire.
We were very lucky to have a visit from the local firefighters in Year 1 and Year 2. We learned all about Fire Safety and even got to see the Fire Engine and hoses. We discussed the importance of having a Fire Safety Plan and testing out smoke detectors each month. A big THANK YOU to Firefighter Kate for organising the visit for our classes!
History Off the Page
On Thursday 14th of October the Year 2 class had a visit from Master Patrick from History Off the Page to run a Great Fire of London themed day. The children engaged in many different activities and participated in different role play opportunities. We had a great day! Take a look at some of our pictures from the day!
Autumn Term 1 Project Activities for Home
Here are some activities to compliment the topic work that we are doing at school. There will be time to share your projects on the last day of this half term.
1. Diary Entry. Imagine that you lived in London during the Great Fire. Write a diary entry to describe what happened and how you felt.
2. Design. The Great Fire has happened and you need to design a new city. How would you design your city to prevent the the spread of another fire?
3. Get Arty. Create your own silhouette of the city during the fire.
4. Great Fire of London Family Walk. Take a walk in London and look for the different monuments
and areas. There is a family walk that you can book that can be found here: https://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/museum-london/event-detail?id=73409. Take photos and bring them to class!
5. Visit the Museum of London. There is a great exhibition on War, Plague and Fire at the Museum of London. Write a recount of your visit and include pictures.
Y2 Maths Summary:
Approximate summaries of maths coverage throughout Y2.