Our Community Churches
“Recognising its historic foundation, the school will preserve and develop its religious character in accordance with the principles of the Church at parish and diocesan level. The school aims to serve its community by providing education of the highest quality within the context of Christian belief and practice. It encourages an understanding of the meaning and significance of faith and promotes Christian values through the experience it offers all its pupils.”
(Instrument of governance - statutory Church School ethos statement)
The school benefits greatly from its status as a church school and maintains strong links with local churches and the Diocese.
As a Church School we:
- Welcome all children from the local community and beyond who wish to attend a church school.
- Aim for high academic standards.
- Aim to challenge each pupil and inspire him or her to make the most of each opportunity presented.
- Build Christian values into our ethos and teaching.
- Aim to develop in our pupils a sympathetic understanding of the Christian faith together with a respect for other faiths and cultures.
- Promote mutual respect and care between all our members.
- Maintain strong links between school, home, church and the local community.
St Mary the Virgin is the parish church for Great Shelford.
The school maintains active links with the Free Church in Great Shelford.